January 11, 2008

The Elf Daughter

Well, material for a blog entry has presented itself much sooner than I expected. I’m not sure why it surprised me—I do live with H.

Today, her daddy and I have decided that she must somehow be part elf, maybe a distant relative of Buddy.

As I was working on school plans, the youngest L came to inform me that H was, and I quote, “drinking syrup”. I decided to defer the matter to JRR, who went to talk to her. He emerged from her room with an empty bottle of chocolate syrup (which had been over half full). L’s eyes widened at that sight, and I immediately knew it was not chocolate syrup that he’d meant. I asked, “Were you talking about pancake syrup?” He nodded.

It seems that after polishing off the chocolate syrup, she moved on to the maple, but had her plans foiled by the little brother. She only managed about an inch of the latter.

After receiving news of the consequence (no going to spend the Christmas gift cards tonight as planned) and moping around the house with an exaggerated frown, she delivered this note to me:




I hope you can read the note, but just in case, it says: Dear Mom, I am sorry I drank the syrup. I am Really Really Really Really sorry. The face in the bottom corner is crying.

Life is never dull, and sometimes it's just downright funny. And, for the record, this incident does not exactly shock her seasoned parents; after all, she ate an entire 12 oz. bag of milk chocolate chips last week.

How can I be angry? At least she is sticking to one of the four basic food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns, and syrup.

7 comments:

joyfuljourney said...

Oh my gosh! I'm quesy just thinking about it. That girl!

By the way, remember that conversation we had about homeschool moms who make grammar/spelling mistakes in their posts? Well...you might want to go back over your post again! :-)

JAR said...

Ok, ok. . .I took care of it. Now the world will never Know.

joyfuljourney said...

I NEW you would correct it!

Love ya!

Conbob said...

She's a cotton-headed ninny-muggins! I loved the story! I can't find much fault in her, though, because I have consumed spoonfuls of chocolate syrup before when I needed a choco-fix and couldn't find anything else, but never half a bottle. Well, maybe. And, the note was priceless!

JAR said...

Maybe the whole chocolate issue is another reason I couldn't be angry with her. We girls must stick together.

kacole said...

This reminds me of when we were in CO...she constantly asked Uncle R if he loved her (which he always said yes to) then she would quickly ask "Did you get me a bikini for Christmas?" After a while he would just get little slips of paper that said "bikini" on them. She is REALLY in to the whole note writing thing.

And as far as the syrup...I have a stomach ache just thinking about it. I have to admit that I don't love chocolate THAT much...cake on the other hand is a whole 'nother story. (Like that? See what I did there...'nother...hehehe)

JAR said...

I did not know that H brought Uncle R into the bikini issue! Makes me afraid to think what she has said to others without my knowledge. Good times.